Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Celebration

Last Friday we decided to celebrate not only that the weekend had arrived, but also that we had survived another Valentines. With so many options here in LA we wanted to be really chic and hip, so we went bowling. Anyone that really knows me knows that bowling - a.k.a the butt watching sport – is about as low as anything can get on my fun list, but David was too persuasive to resist.

Thankfully it was early enough in the day that the bowling alley wasn’t too crowded. David did well, and I quickly settled into a gutter pattern. However, at the beginning of our second game, my luck started to change. In the lane right next to ours was my very own bowling Yoda. His name was Jiffy, and in about 30 seconds we knew more about him than one really ever needs to know about someone named “jiffy”. He came sporting his own shoes, and ball – a fifteen pounder, mind you – and also showed me the plastic card on his key ring proving that he was a proud member of the bowling league. I instantly knew that my troubles were over when he took one look at my game and announced “I can tell you what you are doing wrong”, and he then proceeded to teach me about aiming and standing properly. I could have told him what I was doing wrong… hello, I was BOWLING.


I can honestly say that about 7 frames with Jiffy did more for my game than David or I expected. In my haste to end as quickly as possible I was actually able to knock a few pins down. We also noticed, but chose not to point out the fact, that David actually had a higher score than the bowling Yoda. Just goes to show that if dentistry doesn’t work out, he has a future as a proud card carrying league member. As for me, the next time I bowl will be in the comfort of my own home on a Wii – if Yoda tracks us there, I’ll know the force is working against me.

1 comments:

Merrilee said...

I'm with you! Personally, I'm all for the kiddy bumpers - won't bowl without them. :)