
One thing that I don't do often enough is take Lex to the beach. There really is no excuse. We live 5 miles away; on a daily basis I have NO prior commitments; it's not like the weather forces us in doors...
I think what it may be, is the fact that Lex has absolutely no fear of the ocean!
Recently when my mom was in town, we decided to spend Lexi's "b-witching" hours at the beach. What are the b-witching hours? Daily between the hours of about 3 and 5 Lex decided to practice her drama queen routine, and is satisfied with nothing and no one. Thus while my mom was babysitting for us, she aptly named the aforementioned time.
Now that Lex knows how to / enjoys walking I have been pretty nervous about having her at Venice Beach. This fear is unfounded and irrational, but there are so many people there, and the thought of someone walking away with her and her just disappearing scares me to death! Scared or not, we ended up in the heart of the Venice freak show and quickly made our way to the sand and water.
This is not the first time that we've had Lex at the beach, so you would think I'd have learned my lesson but apparently not. I should know by now that regardless of my plans, Lex is going to get in the water; and, clothes on or off she will end up soaked. Yup, I chose to ignore this reality, and left her fully dressed... even as I sit writing this, I cant help but shake my head... sigh.
It didn't take long to regret the decision to leave her dressed. After being knocked down by wave after wave not only was she drenched, but she shared with me! I kept thinking that as the waves smashed into her, and even completely covered her once or twice, that she would get hesitant about the water. Nope, not even close! As each wave got to her, she simply got more courageous and wanted to walk further and further OUT into the ocean. I think for our next family night we may have to sit her down and watch Jaws - she can use a healthy dose of reality.
By the end of our little adventure she had sand everywhere and resembled a drown rat more than a drama queen; so mission accomplished, I guess!
In a very distant memory I can vaguely recall that the beach was once a place of relaxation. Sunscreen, beach towel, good book; that was pretty much my equation for perfect day. Somehow, beach + Lexi just doesn't come out the same. I never claimed to be a mathematician, though, so maybe I am just factoring something incorrectly...


Friday, April 17, 2009
water
Posted by Jenn at 10:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment