Last Thursday while playing on the couch, lex fell backwards to the floor and hit her head. As you can imagine this turn of events did not make her happy, so i quickly scooped her up and tried to calm her as she screamed. While I was holding her, she decided that I should be just as uncomfortable as she was. I think that her master plan was to scare me - and it worked - as her eyes rolled into the back of her head and her body became completely limp in my arms.
Now, this was certainly not the first time that Lex has hit her head, but I figured that losing consciousness was probably not normal. Even I can be deductive in a high stress situation: falls and hits head + not conscious + never done that before = abnormal. And, David tells me I'm not scientific... phhff
Anyway, after calling my parents, her pediatrician, and the nurses hot line (I tried to call President Obama, but apprently he was in a meeting) - the consensus was reached that I should take her to the e.r. to make sure nothing serious happened. Why, you may be asking, did I not call David? In fact, I did call him a number of times. You can imagine my messages on his machine when I thought that we has merely sending me to voice mail as he talked with patients... not pretty by the 10th call! He was actually doing ENT rounds at a hospital off campus, and maintains that he had no cell service.
Thus with no car, no husband, and little emotional control Lexi and I made our way to the e.r.. The hospital e.r. was thankfully pretty empty - and the visit took about 4 hours, so I can imagine how long it would have been had there been actual sick people. Lex hated every minute of the process, except for the moments I was shoving animal crackers in her mouth.
treatment for head injuries in toddlers, i was told, is an all or nothing deal. And, in the end the doctor decided that lexi looked normal so we were to assume she was in fact normal (yes, I paid for that diagnosis...) She had no other symptoms, aside from the blackout, so the Dr's didn't feel the process of sedation and a CT scan were warranted. His recommendation was for me to watch her and return if further symptoms arose. I believe his exact words were, "we'll need you to step in as the neurologist". To which I responded, " I have nervous wreck covered, but I'm pretty sure you're being paid to do everything else!" Sadly, yet another case of a professional with little or no experience of his authority being 'questioned'....
Lex seems to be fine. She is getting a little tired of my constant supervision, but overall back to normal.
Monday, April 13, 2009
e.r. premiere
Posted by Jenn at 11:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
yikes! so scary, and then those ER visits are so so long and pointless...sort of. we had 3 er visits last year. we are trying for none this year. i hope lexi is okay. her easter dress is so so cute! miss you guys!
Post a Comment