Saturday, April 18, 2009

mud

Photobucket

what is it about the combination of water and dirt that kids fond SO irresistible? For Lexi i am determined to believe that she simply cannot pass up the union of two of her favorite things. She's a romantic at heart, after all.

We have a play area right outside our apartment building which Lex and I escape to on a daily basis. It is nice to get outside, but not have a massive production of "getting" somewhere. Lex has made friends with some of the other kids in the complex and - much to my dismay - they have taught her the joys of the water spigot.
Each day when we go down, after her Pavlovian lap around the playground to gather all the balls, she heads to the water spigot and assembles her ingredients for mud pies. I am not sure if it is the texture of the mud, or something else that intrigues her; but, she is in her element. She has a funny habit of wiping her hands off on the front of her shirt. i didn't really put 2 and 2 together the first time I let her play in the mud, and she came away looking like she's visited a spa but forgot to undress before the mud bath. She is such a little lady - doesn't want dirt on her hands...

Whenever we are out playing in the mud, there is always a few other kids standing around watching Lex as she gives herself facials. They usually run to me pointing their fingers with looks of, "well aren't you going to stop her?!? If I don't get to play in the mud, I'm pretty sure she doesn't get to either!"
Even other moms look at me like I am crazy when the see the mess, formerly known as my daughter. But, I figure if all it takes it a little mud to make her happy, than I wont complain. I mean, there are people paying hundreds of dollars for toys to entertain their kids, and my kid found something that I don't have to pay anything for? I'm going to sit back and keep my mouth shut, or one of these days California will try and tax the mud to make up for the ever growing deficit...

0 comments: