Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shy?!?

Photobucket

Recently, Lexi has hit a bit of a shy stage. Shy? You may be asking. Are you sure we are talking about the same child? This is in fact the child who could care less with whom she is playing as long as there is a bouncing ball involved? This is the child who will allow anyone to hold her, regardless of the fact she may have never seen them before? The same child who smiles and flirts with anyone with little more encouragement than eye contact?!?

Yup, it's true! My super-social, must-have-gotten-that-from-her-father, just-wants-to-be-everyones'-friend child now cringes and hides on a daily basis. This is the part where I talk about how excited I am for her to grow out of this stage and be social again. Sadly, I can not... I am REALLY enjoying this!

For instance, when we were at the zoo waiting for our turn at the petting zoo, the man in line behind us started making faces at her and trying to get her to smile. What did she do? Put her head under my chin and covered her eyes with her hands. Not that I blame her really, I tried to hide behind David, but he was too busy talking to the guy and making friends.

Also, at church on Sunday I was geared up for another installment of "Sunday Survivor" wherein my one objective is to threaten her enough with being 'voted off the island' that she's literally afraid to make noise. Of course, I do think she has caught on that 'off the island' means outside in the hallway with Dad - and oddly, that does not appear to hold a threatening power with her. As luck would have it, however, someone two rows behind us smiled and waved at Lexi, and for the whole first hour she sat in my lap with her head on my chest. Every now and then she worked up the courage to peak up over my shoulder, but would quickly resume her cowering after eye contact was achieved. It was AWESOME! Most relaxing hour of church I have had in ages!

So, although I know that this stage will probably end soon, and she will return to her true social nature. I am still holding out hope that by scaring her more rather than comforting her in these situations she will see the very real danger of strangers... and cuddle with me longer...

0 comments: