Saturday, April 18, 2009

help wanted


For the past few years I have tried to tune out endless praises of how "funny" the Office is. Five seasons ago when the show started I remember watching the first few episodes and thinking it was possibly one of the most painful shows to sit through. The characters seemed neurotic and abrasive; the storyline seemed... nonexistent; and the humor felt forced and flat.
Recently on our trip to Miami one of David's classmates once again tried elaborate upon the good qualities the show possess, and offered to let us borrow the first and second seasons. I agreed to borrow them with the thought that we'd hold on to them for a while, but I wouldn't actually watch them. A few days ago, however, when I needed something new I put in the first disc.
I'm not sure if my taste has matured over the past few years or if I just wasn't paying attention the first time... but I am now a fan.
Truth be told it wasn't until after finishing the second season that I was actually hooked... It took me that long to build up a tolerance for Micheal, gain an appreciation for Dwight Schrute, and fall for Jim. But, miracles happen. The interplay among the characters is hilarious. Who hasn't had a boss that just wants everyone to overlook the fact s/he is an idiot, and be liked? Or the crazy co-worker who thinks they have more authority than everyone else?
Maybe that's what makes the show SO funny - it's real life. But by watching someone else play it out, the connection isn't made that maybe we are the crazy co-worker...
I must confess there is funny funny stuff to be found in the Office. I'm addicted - I'm a believer - and, I'm headed to Costco to buy my own copies!
As a side note: I am a big fan of being able to watch a whole season of a show with no commercials and without having to wait a week before being able to see what happens next! Instant gratification...

0 comments: