Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hand To Hand Combat

We thought it would be good to keep everyone updated on what is happening with Alexis' hands. We were able to get Lex signed up for Medi-cal, but found out that UCLA does not accept Medi-cal - hours of paperwork gone to waste. Thankfully, we were able to add her to David's school insurance.

She was scheduled to meet with the leading hand specialist in the area (Dr. Jones) this week. However, I called to confirm her appointment and was told that it had been cancelled by the office, so we have been playing phone tag with Dr. Jones' assistant to find out what is going on.

I have been informed that our appointment was cancelled because the doctor is not accepting new patients - he is in fact going on sabbatical... helpful information 5 months ago when I called! Both David and I spoke to his assistant again today, and found out that he is transferring to UC Irvine. He said he would be happy to see Lex in May at UCI. The only catch now is, whether the UCLA insurance we signed her up for will allow us to see him there.

We are both frustrated that her appointment with Dr. Jones scheduled for this week was cancelled without our being notified. Apparently, it would have been way too convenient for us to drive 10 minutes to his UCLA office... things are much better this way with an hour commute to UCI; not to mention the new insurance angle thrown into the mix.

There is one other pediatric orthopedic surgeon at UCLA we made an appointment with (in June - his first opening), but as he is not a hand specialist, I am a bit wary. We have decided to keep pursuing Dr. Jones at least for a consult. However, if the battle continues, we may just let her try and gnaw all her fingers down to the same size...

0 comments: