David and I were chatting with some neighbors - okay okay, David was chatting and I was standing awkwardly - and they were telling us about how they are raising their two boys media free. The conversation made a lasting impression. We grow up with lessons about the importance of being smoke free... drug free... sugar free etc; and now apparently there are crazy parents out there trying to take away something else that is fun!
I felt sorry for the boys as I realized they will never know the joys of watching the X Men save the world from mutant haters. Or, never see the rapture on a homemaker's face as she sits in Martha's audience and learn the 101 uses of lint. And, the thought of any young child not truly understanding the complex love triangle between Rachel, Ross, and Joey, was almost more than I could handle.
Because I love my children SO much, I don't want them to be media free. I want them to be as far from free as possible... bring on captivity... there are vital lessons being taught on over 500 channels. As far as I can tell, there is no time for anything but TV... those poor poor boys...
Friday, April 18, 2008
Free at Last
Posted by Jenn at 12:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Good call! I totally agree! You don't want Lex to not know her pop culture! :)
Post a Comment