I cannot believe that David is almost half way through dental school. As each quarter begins and ends, I am more and more acutely aware of what it means to have married a dentist. I don't know that I really understood, when we were dating, how being married to a dentist would affect my life. In fact, I think David may have taken advantage of my naive, accepting nature... Of course, he knew what he was getting into. He knew there would be endless studying, pressure, and competition. But, I wonder if he ever thought of the strain, his being a dentist, would put on me?!?
It's not as glamorous as some may think - sure, there are the occasional conversations where others feel compelled to lower their gaze, because their husbands are merely in the law or business school. But, with the accelerated social status, also comes the responsibility of having to live with a dentist! Usually, people max out their desire to see the dentist at 2 appointments a YEAR. If you have to see them more than that, it's a punishment... try 365 appointments!
I have learned that flossing is a relationship breaker. Most married couple I know fight about money. Well, we fight about flossing. Each night, as I crawl into bed, I hear "have you flossed?". And, each night as I crawl out of bed to floss, I picture all of the ways I could inflict pain on my dentist WITH floss - it is actual quite a versatile instrument, I think.
I have also learned to take what comes out of a dentist's mouth in stride. Whether I am being educated about the latest oral diseases or taught the proper method of chewing - I can keep a pretty straight face. But, I think that the most memorable thing to come out of David's mouth lately, happened last night as he was saying our family prayer. He prayed that we would all have good health and effortlessly transitioned into praying that we "especially would have good oral health". Never before had I thought to pray for my oral health, but I guess there is one more thing to add to the list.

1 comments:
First of all, don't worry about your hair! It's cute, you'll get used to it and it'll grow back. Second, I've never, EVER, heard of anyone praying for oral health before!! but hey, it doesn't hurt I guess!! And last, I know what you mean about jinxing your kids good qualities. We didn't tell anyone Luke slept thru the nite for the longest time...that's one you don't want to mess with either!! Love your blog!
Post a Comment