Thursday, April 17, 2008

The One

I have always thought that Lexi could be classified as being 1 in a million. But, yesterday Dr. Jones set me straight that she is actually only 1 in about 600. That's right, about 1 in 600 kids are born with de-formed... mis-formed... oddly-formed fingers -I'm still looking for the best way to tell her that she is abnormal. I may take the same approach my parents used on me, but I'm not sure she is ready to hear she's an sweet spirited abnormality. What are the odds, that both Lex and I are the 1. Apparently the lottery existed in the creation, and YAY we won! I've never felt quite as lucky as I did when Dr. Jones was talking statistics... who wants to win a lottery that pays you money, when you can win one that will end up costing money in surgeries?
The appointment went well. Both David and I were impressed with the doctor. He recommended not doing both hands at once, but said in the end it is ultimately our decision. She will be in a full arm cast (shoulder to fingers) for about 2 weeks, and depending on where they graft the skin there will also be bandages.
He wants to operate on the right hand first - he thinks she may have motion and control in the ring finger, but with the webbing it's hard to tell. The left hand he thinks will turn out similar to my fingers. Looking at the xrays there is no rhyme or reason for the form and placement of the bones in the left finger, so with surgery he will align the bones so they can fuse straight. The first surgery will be between 12-18 months and the second at 2 years or later (maybe).
I have noticed that at these appointments for Lex, the doctors end up looking at my hands more than hers. I had hoped that my days of hearing doctors tell me how abnormal I am were behind me, but no such luck. All in all, it was a good visit. I think he ultimately agreed to see us just so that I would leave the office alone... good decision on his part.

1 comments:

Merrilee said...

That's awesome you guys got to see him and that he is taking care of sweet baby Lexi! You guys are all the best!