Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mind Over Matter

Recently, Alexis has been excising her independence (the only exercising going on around here, but no need to get into that at the moment), and she has taken a very strong stance against sleeping. I have decided she is bound and determined to be the world's youngest human rights activist, and apparently she knows her rights better than I do.

For about the past week and a half, she wants nothing to do with sleeping. People laugh and are shocked when I tell them we still swaddle her... apparently at 5 months the unwritten rule says it is no longer acceptable, but is now punishment - she can still move her neck, I'm not seeing the problem. I really think that is the only way we get her to sleep. Because she is not as petite as she once was, we actually have to wrap her in numerous blankets. Even then, come morning her arms and legs are free. I probably should not take it as a challenge, when I see she has once again freed herself; I'm fairly confident I can't get the blanket tight enough to cause real damage, and I am a sucker for a challenge.

She used to be on a very predictable schedule: eat, play, sleep. Now, she is all over the place. And, it is driving me absolutely nuts! I'm hoping it's just a phase, and the soon she will return to the lovable child I have come to be fairly fond of. However, if something doesn't change pretty quick, I may have to put her on ebay and see if I get any bids. I am really starting to think that motherhood would be an excellent reality show... can't imagine why no one's thought of it yet.

2 comments:

Merrilee said...

I'll take her! No need for ebay!! :) She is adorable!!!!

dayna said...

funny how when the routine is broken, i go nuts, insane, bonkers....i don't think emme feels the same when she skips a nap--not fair. we settle in to variations on a routine about every two weeks. i can handle that!