Friday, April 11, 2008

A Walk on the Wild Side


Alexis and I decided to walk up to campus today, and have a picnic lunch with David. Since he has been studying so much, he doesn't have as much quality time with Lex, so she pencilled him into her busy schedule.

I was a little worried about the walk - David and I walked to campus only once before and it took almost 3 hours. Plus, you know these dangerous California streets. In the end though, we had a really good time. It took us about an hour to get to UCLA - things tend to move faster without David trying to slow me down and notice things - and the only inconvenience was the fact I was drenched with sweat when we arrived. I was shocked by how many people smiled at me because I was pushing a stroller. At one point someone even offered to buy Alexis. That, or she was actually asking me for money - looking back, I really can't be sure - but that may explain why she tried to trip me as I hurried by.

Once we met up with David, we found a little spot on upper campus and had our picnic. I have to admit that UCLA has a gorgeous campus - not only are the buildings beautiful, but the grounds are amazing. Both David and I came to the conclusion, that although we love BYU, UCLA has the more beautiful campus... tho, shockingly we were one of the only couples pushing a stroller.

We did walk past a display proclaiming that it is "sexuality awareness week" - planned parenting had a table set up with individuals talking to those that passed. For some odd reason, they started to approach us, but did an about-face when the stroller came into view. I probably should feel ignored or discriminated against, but frankly I'm quite content with having found Lex to be an excellent buffer from me having to talk to booth weirdos.

We finished off our adventure by visiting my old co-workers in Oral surgery. Lex did not preform well, and started crying the instant anyone looked at her. David just hung his head and kept mumbling something about how being antisocial was supposed to skip a generation. Come on man... look at the girl! Nothing has skipped a generation! Again, probably should have been offended, but I was too consumed with maternal pride to feel anything else.

We are home safe now, but have added our walk to campus as a weekly Friday tradition.

1 comments:

Merrilee said...

I'm totally impressed Jenn! I remember that drive, and it was not a short distance! You are a rockstar!!!