I promised more details about the opera, but didn't have much time on the computer yesterday, so now I am playing catchup.
Wednesday was a big day for Lexi, as she was able to attend her first funeral. She seemed just fine with the experience, course who would complain if you were the center of attention and people made a point of telling you how beautiful and perfect you are? She was intrigued with the bagpipers, and didn't even flinch when the honor guard shot their rounds - could have had something to do with Papa's fingers in her ears. Even tho, I don't think she was too traumatized by the experience, if she grows up being afraid of graveyards, it will just be one more thing she'll add to the - ever growing - list: All the ways my mother has ruined my life.
After the funeral, Mom and I had the chance to attend the opera Cinderella in Salt Lake. I don't know what was more entertaining, the opera or listening to the young women's conversations. It has been a long time since I have heard the word "like" used so many times in so many ways... It was like totally bizarre, like seriously.
The opera was really good, instead of having a wicked stepmother, it was the stepfather; ans there were lots of twists that made it quite entertaining. Because it was in Italian, there were superscripts. I think that the superscripts are meant to help, but they just made me feel like I was watching an old Godzilla movie... someone would be singing for five minutes straight and all I got as translation was "look! the Prince is coming" or "Cinderella!". I am in no way fluent in Italian, but I can't help but think something got lost in the translation.
By the end, both mom and I were ready for it to be over. To conclude, Cinderella has a solo song which could probably be in the running for the world's longest song with (according the the superscripts) the fewest words. I was watching the prince listen to her sing her song, and even he looked a little bored. I could only imagine the thoughts running through his mind, "She sure didn't talk this much when we were dating..."
All in all, it was a very good experience. However, I think that next time I'll let Lexi go to the Opera and I'll stay home with Papa to have pizza and watch the Jazz game.
Wednesday was a big day for Lexi, as she was able to attend her first funeral. She seemed just fine with the experience, course who would complain if you were the center of attention and people made a point of telling you how beautiful and perfect you are? She was intrigued with the bagpipers, and didn't even flinch when the honor guard shot their rounds - could have had something to do with Papa's fingers in her ears. Even tho, I don't think she was too traumatized by the experience, if she grows up being afraid of graveyards, it will just be one more thing she'll add to the - ever growing - list: All the ways my mother has ruined my life.
After the funeral, Mom and I had the chance to attend the opera Cinderella in Salt Lake. I don't know what was more entertaining, the opera or listening to the young women's conversations. It has been a long time since I have heard the word "like" used so many times in so many ways... It was like totally bizarre, like seriously.
The opera was really good, instead of having a wicked stepmother, it was the stepfather; ans there were lots of twists that made it quite entertaining. Because it was in Italian, there were superscripts. I think that the superscripts are meant to help, but they just made me feel like I was watching an old Godzilla movie... someone would be singing for five minutes straight and all I got as translation was "look! the Prince is coming" or "Cinderella!". I am in no way fluent in Italian, but I can't help but think something got lost in the translation.
By the end, both mom and I were ready for it to be over. To conclude, Cinderella has a solo song which could probably be in the running for the world's longest song with (according the the superscripts) the fewest words. I was watching the prince listen to her sing her song, and even he looked a little bored. I could only imagine the thoughts running through his mind, "She sure didn't talk this much when we were dating..."
All in all, it was a very good experience. However, I think that next time I'll let Lexi go to the Opera and I'll stay home with Papa to have pizza and watch the Jazz game.

0 comments:
Post a Comment