Thursday, July 24, 2008

When I said...

As a young girl, I often daydreamed of getting married and what it would be like to have a husband and children. Like most, I romanticized the future and was quite impatient to be swept off my feet. From the moment that I met David, I knew that there was something different about him. Unlike all of my previous Prince Charming candidates... he was tall; had a personality; and for some odd reason enjoyed being with me.
Everything fell into place, and I realized the day I had been waiting all my life for was just around the corner. When I said "I Do" I was more than certain that I was agreeing to everlasting happiness, eternal contentment, and never ending marital bliss.

Looking back, I can't be sure where I made the mistake. When I said I Do I didn't fully grasp what it meant...

I Do the cooking
I Do the dishes
I Do the vacuuming
I Do the diaper changes
I Do the laundry
I Do the grocery shopping
I Do the cleaning

I am not sure where the notion of happily ever after came to exist in our culture. Ah, to be young and foolish again. With the blinders off, the world is a harsh and scary place...

1 comments:

dayna said...

at least "I Do the providing for" isn't on your list. I am realizing more and more what a serious obligation, weight, and responsibility that is. I am SO glad it's not mine. It makes me happy that I just have all that other stuff to do. (although i do get annoyed at times and want more help)