Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sleepy Head

Now that Lex has realized her legs can be used for more than just dead weight, I have a really hard time getting her down for naps. Gone are the days when I could put her down, have her cry for a few minutes, and come back to find her asleep. Now when I go back to check, she is standing against the railing watching and waiting for mom's moment of weakness.

Now that she is mobile, the crib is her prison and I am her warden. I attempted to outfit her cell with a 'double bumper' - closely akin to solitary isolation, I'm sure - however, somehow the second bumper gave her a better grip and she was out of her blanket and standing in record time. I have tried to wedge her between pillows - gasp, pillows in the crib with her?! I know... I'm sure I'll get the call from DCFS any day - sadly, the pillows merely provided a better cushion for her to stand on while screaming about her false imprisonment.

In an attempt to solve this nap time crisis, I have tried to think of what a real warden would do if the inmates were so out of control. I made the mistake of running my first couple of ideas past David to get his thoughts... I still don't see what he was so freaked out about, I did promise him I would make a little anesthesia go a long way.

In the end, I have taken the real hard core route... rocking her till she is drowsy and standing over her holding her hand till she falls asleep. Make no mistake I mean business around here... like any well run facility, It's my way or the highway!

3 comments:

Merrilee said...

Seriously she is sooooo adorable!!! I just love, love, love all the photos and am so glad you are such a tough mommy! Send her my way (banishment to DC) should she get too wild! :)

Laura Earl said...

I love reading your posts! You are a very gifted writer! I love the pictures of Lexi she is going to look so different when we get back! I can't wait. And only a week till boards! Hurray~

dayna said...

oh have we been there! she'll adjust...eventually. as soon as i lowered emme's crib she was all about standing and now sleeping on her tummy. i love routine and i hate when they change it which is about every month or two now! crazy!