Thursday, May 8, 2008

Who Am I?

I am Elinor Dashwood!

Take the Quiz here!

For our anniversary, David got me the complete set of Jane Austin. I’ve decided to start with Northanger Abbey; or as David calls it, the controversial one. I’m not sure where he got the idea that it’s controversial, but now I am REALLY looking forward to reading it. I hope it lives up to it’s reputation! And, yet again David is caught shaking his head muttering, “that was not supposed to make you want to read it more…”

One thing that I love about the books already is that there are famous/memorable quotes from the story printed on the opening pages. I truly wish I had known about these back in the days of book reports. I can’t tell you how many hours were wasted flipping through books skimming paragraphs to see if anything sounded important enough to be included in my paper. This would have saved SO much time!

Here are a couple of my favorite quotables thus far from the Abbey:

Provided that nothing like useful knowledge could be gained from them, provided they were all story and no reflection, she had never any objection to books at all.

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

A woman especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can.

Miss Morland, no one can think more highly of the understanding of women that I do. In my opinion, nature has given them so much, that they never find it necessary to use more than half.

2 comments:

dayna said...

love this. i'm 'eleanor' too.

Merrilee said...

I too am Eleanor! How fabulous. :) BTW, Northanger Abbey may just be my fave right after P&P! Next time I come out to visit you guys I will bring my favorite film version (right from the 80's) and we can watch it! It is a classic and I applaud J.A. for getting out of her comfort zone and writing something so fun! Enjoy!!