Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Deep End


I was commenting to Mom a few weeks back that I feel very unproductive at home all day, and she encouraged me to get involved in classes and groups in the community. I was fairly proud of all the excuses I was able to fabricate right on the spot – still haven’t lost my touch! Just because I feel unproductive does not mean that I want to hassle with actually leaving the house! Mom can usually catch me in my snares, but I was very confident she couldn’t argue with my secret weapon… Alexis.

So, I played my card, and…. sure enough, Mom had an answer for that too. It must be an extra gene that mothers develop to have an answer for everything. What was the solution? Find a class that involves Alexis; (sigh) didn’t see that one coming – blast.

So, I made a few calls. Karate and Yoga said the flexibility to touch your toes was a plus, but anyone who sucked on them during class would be asked to leave. The sewing class made some big deal about the importance for participants understanding they were actually responsible for their arms and fingers moving. The book club got very offended when I asked whether it would be a problem we liked to chew on the edges. And, the cooking class said there really isn’t much more we can do with milk.

The only other option to consider was a Mom and Tot swimming class. After a little research, I discovered that Lexi is a bit too young for any of the formal classes, they start at about 6 months old. However, I refused to come away from this ordeal empty handed, so Alexis and I started our own swimming class. Yup, every day after our morning nap, we put on our swim suits and fill up the tub. I want her not only to be prepared for a pool, but also the beach. So, we are very careful not to leave any food out for the seagulls, we struggle with the sand (having a dirty house is not neglectful, it’s a teaching experience), and we make sure to wear our sun protection. My nose is always getting burned, so I’m exposing Lex to zinc oxide… however, since no real person keeps zinc oxide on hand we had to get creative… let’s just say that desitin is multifunctional…


0 comments: