Thursday, May 8, 2008

Confessions of a New Mom

We have all heard the idea that it takes a village to raise a child. When I heard this thought as a teenager, after much inspection and analysis of my parents, I came to believe it was in fact true. Look at how I (and the brothers, of course) turned out; come on - my parents are good, but nobody is that good!

As I am now faced with raising my own little mini-me, I am grateful for the realization that I am not alone and have the help of the village. However, I am also realizing that apparently everyone has an opinion about my parenting! Yah yah yah, I know the whole ancient Chinese parable thing… but, don’t I at least get some say as to who parks their trailer in my village?!?

Crazy meat lady at Albertsons; who thinks Lexi needs to wear a hat 24/7 – sorry, no through traffic! Grumpy, forced into retirement, jogger man; who feels the sun is too bright for me to be out with a baby – Keep moving, we’re full here, NO room in the Inn! Asian grandpa at the apartment playground (and, don’t even get me started on the definition of Graduate STUDENT Family housing) that doesn’t speak English; who feels it’s his right to scoop Lex up and walk her around – Papers please, let me see some identification!

From now on, there are going to be thorough background checks and intensive interview. My daughter may need all the help she can get, but I will have some control – even if I have to get Stepford about the whole thing! I am putting my foot down and sealing the borders… the village is full.

0 comments: