Tuesday, August 12, 2008

They found me

Late Sunday evening, after a family walk around the neighborhood, we decided to check the mail since we hadn't for a couple days. As I turned the key and opened the mail box - the sky suddenly darken and the air was filled with a harsh clap of thunder - there in the box was a single envelope staring back at me. I attempted to muffle my screams as I read the glaring red letters on the front of the envelope... Notice of Jury Duty. With a shaky hand and sinking heart, I reached in...

Not only am I a lucky winner of the jury lottery, but my call to duty happens to fall exactly in the middle of our September trip to Utah and Washington. Hope you and Lex have a good trip David... wish I could come too, but I've been called to the front lines...

In all honesty, I really would not mind serving on a jury. But, I am not sure how the court would react to Lex and I sharing a seat. I can see it now: "I'm sorry, would you mind moving over one seat? She tends to kick while she's nursing." Or, "Don't mind her as she crawls... hey, in or out buddy, we need to keep the door closed!" My personal favorite, "Don't stop, keep going. I'm just going to change her here. Does anyone have a plastic bag?"

On the notice, one of the valid reasons for being excused is having a dependent whom you care for from 9AM to 5PM (Sheesh, a day I only had to care for her from 9 to 5 would be a holiday!). When I called in to register I explained my situation, and was instructed to put everything in writing and send the notice back, so it could be evaluated. I asked the person on the phone if it would be a problem being excused, and all she could tell me was that it would be reviewed and and I would be notified. So, I next inquired whether the state would pick up the tab for Lexi's future therapy sessions to deal with her abandonment issues because I had to leave her? The only response I got was, "I'm sorry, that is not something we cover." And... apparently we check our personality at the door...

You know, there is the slightest bit of irony in the fact that the government can't find me to deliver the stimulus check which we have been waiting months for; but a notice for jury duty, no problem.

1 comments:

Merrilee said...

Wow, that's crazy! I think I would love jury duty, but I hate the fact that you can't just go when you want. I'm sure they'll let you off the hook. Sweet Lexi needs her mama!