Saturday, July 4, 2009

all done

Photobucket

Well, we had our appointment for official cast removal on Thursday and everything went very smoothly.
the cast is off and everything looks great! She has stitches up both sides between her 3rd and 4th fingers. her fingers are still a little swollen and the scars obviously will need time to fade. But, little by little every day she uses her right hand a little more and picks are her stitches a little less.
For now we put neosporin on twice a day and cover it with a little gauze. We don't have to go back to Dr. Jones until October - at that time he'll check on the right healing and evaluate for surgery on the left.

Photobucket

A few reasons I am glad that Lexi is no longer wearing a cast:

1 - when we go to the store, I no longer have people staring daggers at me. I was amazed how many people looked at David and I like we were absolutely unfit parents. Every time we were asked if she "broke" her arm - with eye brows raised, you could feel the obviously implications we somehow helped her to break her arm.

2 - when we go to the zoo we will no longer be the object lesson for parents attempting to teach their children. It was quite interesting to here all the lessons being taught around us:
"see, that's why we don't jump on the bed!" or, "do you see her arm? that's what happens when you play too close to the animals!" or my favorite, "that's what happens when you don't listen to your parents - do you want to look like her?"

3 - at church we will not have to tell and re-tell the story of what happened - hoping that the thinly veiled skepticism will vanish and people will believe us. Yes, there is always judgment to be found.

thus, I don't know if having the cast off has made life for Lexi any easier, but I have found it to be a great relief! I can finally show my face in public again, and hopefully Lex has learned her lesson of what will happen next time she tries to cross me...

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments: