
Sorry it's a little fuzzy. I don't know that she ever stops moving....
David went to Sacramento Early Sunday morning to represent UCLA at the state Lobby Day. Because he was going to be away for most of the weekend, we decided to do something fun on Saturday to make the most of day. So, after a family walk and Lexi's nap, we packed up and headed into the city.
Some may not be aware that David lived in Texas for 2 years as a missionary. While there he learned Spanish, and during the off-time of teaching people, he became a Mexican food critic. I can't tell you the number of times he informs me that my "Mexican food" and actual Mexican food are very different things. Thus with this background, it was David's wish to visit Little Mexico - Olivera St. After battling the LA freeways we were happy to make it safely over the border - only to face our next battle - parking. Those of you who know LA and have listened to my constant complaining about parking, know the epidemic we face here of having to pay to park... anywhere. I can't tell the number of times we have ended up walking blocks and blocks to avoid paying - it's the principle of the matter - not to mention great exercise...
Olivera street was quite fun; there was music so people could dance, and it smelled like Disneyland because of the Churros and other deep fried creations... it was magical, to say the least. Lexi was enthralled with the baskets of colorful toys just begging - for a reasonable price - to be reached for and played with. She would have been quite content if we would have left her alone so she could do her own thing. Sadly however, we didn't... and she let us know what she thought of our constant supervision - really she let everyone within ear shot know.
After wandering a while and tasting my first authentic taco (which in my humble opinion could have used a little salt), I was determined to get my money out of our parking spot - there must have been actual gold in the paint used for the lines, to justify how much we were charged.
So, We walked a few blocks to Little China. After getting our passports stamped, the first thing I noticed in China was the fact the parking was 50% less! Hello?!? There needs to be a serious economic inquiry as to why parking is more expensive in Mexico rather than China! And wouldn't you know, the deeper we got into China, the cheaper and cheaper parking became, I was sure that at any moment China would offer to pay us if we parked there. All I can think to rationalize the discrepancy is that Mexico is upset because all of their toys are stamped "made in China", and they are making me pay for it (literally). Definitely something fishy going on...
Speaking of fishy, rather than the baskets full of toys to captivate Lexi's attention, China had tanks of fish. Yup, there were trout, lobster, crab, and lots of others. When I asked people if Lex could stick her hands in the tanks and pet the crustaceans - I think they must not have understood the question, cause they got all freaked out and shooed us to the door. Once again, the blasted language barrier.
After I was sure I had gotten the most out of our gold lined parking space - which would have been free had we showed up an hour later - we headed home. Were else can you travel the world by simply exiting the freeway? Though, I am curious to know where Little America is in LA - I would love to visit there!
Monday, January 12, 2009
Vayamos!
Posted by Jenn at 3:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment