Wednesday, July 14, 2010

just a little backwards around here

Photobucket

This picture should tell you all that you need to know about the pitts. (and, consequently ensure that no one comes to visit us with the promise of pitts having appetizing unique food of it's own...)
This is the famous Primanti's Pittsburgh sandwich. Under the layers of coleslaw and french fries believe it or not there is a hamburger patty suffocating.

When David and I came to the pitts to find housing, we decided if we were going to be locals we had better try one of the famous sandwiches ... looking back, this SHOULD have been my first clue about how my adjustment would be! I tried to have an open mind, but after the first bite, it was hard enough to even have an open mouth! Yup, that bad.
Mom called to tell me that she learned from the food network that the reason they made everything into a sandwich was to make it easy to handle for workers who couldn't sit down for a lunch time meal, the "grab and go" idea. Normally, anything remotely resembling multi-tasking gets my seal of approval. However, I am definitely not able to endorse this effort; this is one of those 1 step forward, 5 steps way WAY back! It is (extremely) safe to say that I will never have to have another authentic pitts sandwich. In fact I am hoping to get through the next 3 years without doing anything else remotely pitts authentic...

The pitts is not known for it's food - much to mom's dismay. when I ask locals were the best places to eat are I usually hear something along the lines of, "We really like Taco Bell, but if we are splurging we treat ourselves to Red Lobster!" Ah, how much I could say about this... the lives that could be saved!! It is a tragedy when I think of the rising generation thinking that Red Lobster is the pinnacle of the culinary world - If I weren't taking such a high dose of anti-depressants I am quite sure that my blood pressure would even be a little raised...

0 comments: